Faster Internet. Fax Line. Boo yah.
The wait is over, kitteh.
Thanks to our good friends at Atlantic Metro, we’ve managed to seriously boost our upload speeds, with a Metro Ethernet connection, and will be able to easily upgrade in the future as we can afford to.
Our old Business DSL connection is now up and running as a backup connection, and we’ve still got our Clear connection as a last resort.
So there you have it, three completely separate internet connections running up in here.
No, you don’t use fax in your daily life. Odds are good you never did. But some bass-ackwards bureaucratic institution that you have to periodically deal with sure does!
We’ve got your back. Our new all-in-one printer/scanner/color copier is hooked up and ready to fax your bureaucratic pains away!
More lockers! Lots of things reorganized and streamlined!
Today we cleared out our storage unit of everything we intend to bring back to NWC 2.0. All that remains are things we intend to sell (stay tuned!), give away, or toss.
That means, right now, NWC has a lot more stuff in it than it did this morning. What you’ll notice, however, is that right now the space looks like it has less stuff than it did before. How did we pull off such a stunning magic trick?
Well, it involves a lot of elbow grease. But basically, we moved a lot of infrequently used stuff into overhead storage areas, threw a lot of stuff out, and simply rearranged things to make more efficient use of space. We also organized a lot of things that were previously sort of spread out around the space. Here’s the rough rundown:
- Second set of lockers are online! They are along the back wall and will be available once they have been numbered.
- Along with this, the back area has been rearranged a lot and is now much more neatly and efficiently laid out.
- It is now much easier to find many of the things we have available for sharing, including monitor cables, adapters, whiteboards, sticky pads, keyboards, power strips, office supplies and more.
- We’ll soon be publishing a comprehensive list of all of NWC’s shared resources, from pens to xboxes to guitars and more, as well as where to find them
- Kitchen has been reorganized so things can be more easily accessed
- Main conference room has been rearranged and a new speaker system has been added
- Soft seating area rearranged
- Ethernet cable strung across ceiling to light up the last corner of the space that doesn’t yet have wired connectivity
- This will also get us one step closer to getting the new fax machine online!
- Initial progress has been made on a new welcome display and sign-in area for newcomers at the front desk. More on this soon!
- More books on our shelf! Some of our best books have come out of storage and are ready to blow your mind!
- We’ll be giving away some old books at the front of the space all week; come by and check out the selection! The leftovers get tossed on Friday!
- An experimental feature or two. Stop by the space to see everything!
Between the cold winter, countless events, and slowly cleaning out the storage space we filled up from our first move, NWC 2.0 has accumulated no shortage of stuff. After a long weekend cleaning up the place, we found countless gems and random things—and threw out a bunch as well. Here are the highlights:
- Rearranged reception desk, entryway area, and soft seating
- Added new lunch table
- Filled bookshelf with many fabulous books
- Launched Nap Loft beta! Our loft now has a comfy futon, an Xbox 360, and snacks! Now all we need to do is build a staircase so people can safely get up there.
- Drawer underneath printer now contains office supplies
- Monitors, cables, connectors, and any other hardware are now consolidated to the back credenza
- A lot of clutter has been cleared out
All of the changes have left us with some extra space, which we’ll be using for more upgrades and features soon!
Paper towel dispenser and SimpleHuman trash bins! Somebody may have had to lay on the floor of the bathroom to take this photo.
More Mac display adapters and VGA cables!
Side note: we also have some excellent sweet & sour and hoisin sauces in the fridge!
v 2.1.0 - Major Release! - 4G internet backup, TV tuner, and more
New & improved:
We scored a big haul from an office that was closing down; thanks to Peter Dixon-Moses for the heads up and for helping us move our stuff!
- Our bathrooms now have proper mirrors!
- We’ve now got two 4G internet hotspots from Clear as a backup to our current connection. If anyone for any reason has trouble connecting through our normal network, ask us how to connect to the Clear connections!
- We attached an antenna and digital tuner to our projector, thus allowing us to watch good old network broadcast television!
- Lots of beautiful Dell monitors for sharing
- Two fabulous servers to mess with
- A giant rolling whiteboard
- Halogen standing lamps for events and conference room
- Small lamps for huddle rooms and desks - these have had a tremendous effect on the huddle rooms; they are far more pleasant places to work now!
- Various new markers and erasers
- Landline phone is now operational!
- Capped off a bunch of ethernet ports
- Installed a shelf for our projector! No longer shall it rest upon a ladder.
- Cleaned up mail slots
- A coat rack
- A labelmaker
- A new toaster
- Lockers (no, really)
- Improved acoustics in all meeting rooms
- A welcome screen at the entrance, showing a rotating view of our upcoming events, a backchannel, tweets, and photos
Lots more major improvements coming in the early spring!
v2.0.9 - December Catchups: Ethernet, Landlines, Couch, Bookcase, Mail, M&Ms, Bucky Balls and more!
Lots has happened in December! Let’s catch up:
Big haul from the fine people at HWH Group!
- New couch and love seat
- New fake trees
- Filing cabinet
- Mail slots
As well as some more improvements:
- Ethernet in more spots now
- Landlines! You can now make a call in the conference room on a Polycom speaker
- New phone number! Behold, the 212! (212) 226-1585!
- Improved music setup in the back
- Cleaned up back area where wires / cables / other things are being stored
- A fabulous motion-activated M&Ms dispenser. Thanks to the Chipps family!
- Bucky Balls! Thanks Rob Kelley!
We resurrected a Uservoice page where we can share and vote on suggestions. We’ll be making periodic improvements to the space throughout the year, so we’ll be using this to guide what we focus on in which order!
Go here and make some suggestions! https://nwc2.uservoice.com
Just in case: we can now charge iPod Nanos!
Network Overhaul Day!
Many improvements and new features going in today!
v2.0.8 - Security Upgrades, Shelving, Network Fixes
New and Improved:
- Security camera! It records, it moves, it has infrared night vision, it has a web interface! It will help us dispatch justice to anyone trying any funny business!
- Glass shelving in conference room assembled and beautiful!
- Several tweaks to the optimize the network
- The heat is on! And it works!